Skip to main content

Outside-In



It's not a new thing but being old doesn't make it any less interesting for me. Or, I suspect, for any of us who are faced with navigating new situations and places without a compass or rule book, when we slowly gain access to a mostly invisible set of codes and conventions, such as looking to the left first instead of right while crossing a road, or having your choices in place before reaching the counter to place an order at Chipotle's. The newcomer sticks out, with her immersion in Google Maps and the hard-to-disguise lost look as she stops tentatively in front of impassive unmarked buildings which solidly refuse to yield either name or number, assuming that knowledge on the part of every passer by.

The sense of first-time-ness is actually quite wonderful, when you are captivated by the largeness of the trees and the cleanness of their leaves, or the clarity with which the skyline marks itself against a blue sky that seems so much brighter than the expanse above your own much-loved city.

But you also find yourself wanting to get rid of that patina of new-ness, of being the outsider in this space, of wondering about which turn to take as you wander clutching your smartphone and hoping the free wifi doesn't disappear on you. I am trying, with every step, to write myself into the map of the campus, to become one of those dots that anonymously and unnoticed, goes about its business in a knowing, familiar way.

So yesterday I spent a whole hour circling a block looking for what the map called 13E--and at some point even the kind lady on google maps gave up on me. I called the office for directions to what the map said was less than 500 ft away, and was told that the building is to the right of a "large black sculpture". Now what do you do when you see three objects of that description within a 200-yard radius? It took another ten minutes and some soft-footing inside some of those impassive buildings before I located my destination. I know that soon I will walk that same path with complete uncaring, my eyes not stopping to look at curiosities inside or outside windows, where the bicycle on the window is a comfortable indicator of how close I am to the office rather than something to capture in a series of curiosities.

The process of turning familiar involves seeing and watching to the point where those processes are no longer required, where the eye and mind are inscribed with a layer of unconscious knowing that allows you then to lose yourself on the street while holding the map inside your head. You can then walk by those impassive buildings with a comfortable knowledge--or a complete uncaring--of what they are and what they hold.

Each time I find myself in a new city where I am to spend more than a few days, I watch myself go from anxious intruder to comfortable occupant (never quite insider, that would take years, or perhaps eons), from a place where I am conscious of difference to a place where my difference is just one more hue in a color-by-numbers palette.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Ja

Ja (right) with Maxine, at the Alternative Network meeting, 2004 I opened the newspaper this morning and way down at the bottom of page five was a small insert in remembrance of an old friend and sometime mentor, Janaki Iyer, known simply as "Ja" to many of us.  I myself took a decade or more to make the transition from "Mrs Iyer" to "Janaki" to a very hesitant "Ja"--the diminutive seemed not to do justice to a woman who in a very gentle and quiet way had touched so many people, young, old, and like myself, somewhere in between. First, the specifics. Janaki was a teacher from start to finish. After many years of teaching in an upscale Bombay school, she moved to Hyderabad and, with an enthusiastic friend, started Ananda Bharati, a learning space for children of migrant labourers, in a small room in the YMCA, Tarnaka. Many of those children went on to join the mainstream school system and complete their secondary education; a few even obtai...

Talking about Talk: a conversation with Sherry Turkle

Credit: CNN Image s The Tang Building sits on the southern edge of the MIT campus, overlooking the river whose grey this autumn afternoon acts as a foil to the gold and auburn of the trees across its wide span. I rush up the stairs to the second floor—I am a minute past the appointed hour—and arrive, just a little out of breath, on the second floor. The corridor is dark and the roomy lobby leading to the room that bears the number I’ve been given is even darker. I check my phone again to make sure I have it right and then venture inside, flipping the light switch and finding a spot on a comfortable sofa. One never feels quite prepared for an interview. Especially when it involves someone who has already been in the media eye over the years, whose engaging commentaries on life in the digital age have found their way to the TED stage and from there into millions of YouTube and Facebook shares, whose books straddle the academic and popular; someone who could be the Nora Ephron ...

taking measure of 21 years

How does one measure the usefulness of anything? Does it lie in its quantum of influence--spatially, numerically, intellectually, materially? Does it lie in its ability to survive over time? Or (as some in this age would have it) in the number of mentions it generates on social media? An idea that was born just over 21 years ago is now in the process of being put to rest. Not quite given up on as an idea, but in its material form, designated "unsustainable". Teacher Plus was mooted in the second half of 1988, and given shape to in the first half of 1989, in the offices of Orient Longman Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad. The ELT team in the publishing house, of whom Lakshmi Rameshwar Rao (Buchamma), Usha Aroor and Rema Gnanadickam were a part, originated the idea of a professional magazine for school teachers that would serve as a forum for the sharing of teaching ideas and experiences, and perhaps motivate teachers to play a catalyzing role in reforming classroom practice. I was recru...