Skip to main content

Domestic transfers

It's a weekend, and so the burden to think and write academically is off--or is it? Some might say the very act of writing is academic; it involves a three-step (at least) translation, from thought to word to type, mixed up with processes of selection, analysis and synthesis, creating or inviting meaning by placing certain sounds, pauses and images in specific order.

No matter.

Here I am, on a Sunday morning, looking out from my small rectangular windows on to a quiet Somerville street. Cars wait attentively in driveways, while cellphone-toting walkers are being energetic in activewear, and the stone-walled church at the end of the street waits for the faithful to break their weekend fast to seek prayer and peace. Now I hear the strains of the choir waft down my way: a pleasant opening to the day.

I have cleaned up my small apartment, done my morning stretches, listened to the news on public television, had a granola cereal breakfast, and feel virtuously productive, having engaged in some of the rituals that I gather are common to left-leaning liberal academics in this country. Except that somewhere in the corner of my mind is the niggling awareness--fast turning into acceptance--that i will now proceed to rapidly lose myself on the internet, as I shuttle between must-respond-to emails and must-click links on Facebook while I also catch up on the news from here, home and elsewhere. After all, I must keep the global consciousness intact!

So, returning to the 'domestic' in my life. For the past two weeks, I have found myself in a space where the word translates into nothing more than a quick making of the bed and a rustled up dinner for one, trips to the supermarket focused on what will fit into my tiny refrigerator and what will not be too much for a single person to consume before it goes bad.

The domestic is on the sidelines of my life here. From the minuscule kitchenette (known as a "Pullman kitchen") to the minimalist shelving that holds no more than a week's groceries and one person's crockery and cutlery, it is designed to not intrude into the "larger purpose" of my existence this fall. I am forced to spend as little time as possible in those activities of basic sustenance. The absence of a counter ensures that I contain my activities on the space available between burners to chop vegetables or mix spices. I am concerned that the aromas of my exotic foods do not disturb or offend as they waft down the two floors to my landlady's rooms. The sink compacts the number of dishes I use. The large kitchen in my Hyderabad home now seems symbolic of the hours I spend there, often doing more than just cooking, but it is a hub around which a significant part of me unfolds.

So the absence of the domestic (or its relegation to the margins) has been disorienting for me. I realize that the domestic--home, family, the routine of cooking, cleaning, conversation around all of that--is what anchors the rest of me. I complain about finding time within that to do my "professional work", or what I enjoy, but it is the scaffolding on which the rest of me builds. It is what enriches and folds meaning into the outcomes of the non-domestic.

I realize that what I need to do is to find--rather, create--a structure for myself that uses the minimization of the domestic and turns it into a liberating force.

I suspect that sounds undeniably academic....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A house called Ayodhya

How do words get taken away from you? How do they mutate and reconfigure around entirely new meanings, only weakly related to those that they held when you owned them? And then, through repetition and constant association, they solidify into these new forms, their other histories hidden behind impenetrable layers, where they have not been erased altogether.   I live in a house whose name often elicits a curious look, raised eyebrow, a muffled cough, a judging eye, or even a vigorous nod of approval. But for even the least politically minded, the name is evocative of something. For some of us, it is the wave of negativity, divisiveness, and violence unleashed by the events of a December three decades ago. For others, it may represent the righteous assertion of identity.   But the name etched into the gate pillar, now fading and diminished when compared to the glitzy lettering on neighbouring walls, has nothing to do with the politics of place and claimed heritage. It is a simple, gentle

Origin Story

You can know someone all your life and only begin to discover who they are more fully after they are gone. The stories seem to flow more easily, less self-consciously, without the moderating physical presence, perhaps more detailed in the awareness that they cannot be challenged and the memory can retain its sanctity. Today is my parents’ anniversary, 62 years since their marriage that rainy day in Secunderabad when the monsoon used to arrive without fail on the 10th day of June. The family legend has it that it poured so heavily on the 9th (the evening of the nichyathartham or engagement ceremony) that water entered the storage room, soaking the provisions for the next day’s big meal, causing my maternal grandmother to faint. That turbulence however did not seem to affect the tenor of the marriage which, by all accounts and my own experience, was characterized by a calmness that suggested a harmony of purpose and personality.   Not that my parents are/were alike in all ways. T

taking measure of 21 years

How does one measure the usefulness of anything? Does it lie in its quantum of influence--spatially, numerically, intellectually, materially? Does it lie in its ability to survive over time? Or (as some in this age would have it) in the number of mentions it generates on social media? An idea that was born just over 21 years ago is now in the process of being put to rest. Not quite given up on as an idea, but in its material form, designated "unsustainable". Teacher Plus was mooted in the second half of 1988, and given shape to in the first half of 1989, in the offices of Orient Longman Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad. The ELT team in the publishing house, of whom Lakshmi Rameshwar Rao (Buchamma), Usha Aroor and Rema Gnanadickam were a part, originated the idea of a professional magazine for school teachers that would serve as a forum for the sharing of teaching ideas and experiences, and perhaps motivate teachers to play a catalyzing role in reforming classroom practice. I was recru